India: The Regulatory Landscape for FinTech, Digital Assets & Payment Systems
April 05, 2023
Reg/Tech Lab - HKU FinTech - HKU-SCF FinTech Academy - Asia Global Institute
Regulatory Ramblings episode 17 with Aaron Kamath and Purushotham Kittane of the law firm Nishith Desai Associates.
Aaron, Bangalore-based leader of the FinTech Law & Policy Practice at firm Nishith Desai Associates, and his colleague Purushotham, speak to Regulatory Ramblings host Ajay Shamdasani about the following:
- The evolving landscape of fintech models in India: Contributing factors and investments
- The traditional role of payment service providers viz card networks and banks: Recent fundamental shift in the licensing regime
- Digital lending: Evolving models, buy-now-pay-later, and recent guidelines on lending apps
- E-wallets: Co-branding and white-labeling issues, and cross-border fund flow issues
- UPI and mobile-based banking: Arteries of India’s digital payments ecosystem
- The regulatory conundrum around cryptocurrencies
- Taxation and virtual digital assets
- CBDCs and the move towards ‘E-Rupees’
Click on chapters to navigate the topics discussed in this podcast.
HKU FinTech is the leading fintech research and education in Asia. Learn more at www.hkufintech.com.
India’s evolving FinTech Landscape
Cultural context and financial landscape in India
Fintechs reshape traditional financial services
Fintech and Digital Lending
e-Wallets and India's Gaming Industry
Regulating Crypto in India: Commodity or Currency?
India's Blockchain Strategy
Monitoring and Taxing Crypto
India's CBDC: The Digital Rupee
India’s Unified Payments Interface or UPI
Fintech driving India's Financial Inclusion
The Lopsided Tax Regimes: Digital Assets & NFTs
UPI and Cross Border Payments